CURIOSITY & RITUALS OF THE EVERYDAY
In addition to the international exhibition at Fremantle Arts Centre and John Curtin Gallery,
a festival program of exhibitions and events is presented by craft artists, galleries, art spaces and craft groups in support of the IOTA21 themes.
From Sep-Nov 2021 in Western Australia.
3 September - 30 October
Gemma Ben-Ary, Siân Boucherd, Leanne Bray, Kate Campbell Pope, Mikaela Castledine, Merle Davis, Fiona Gavino, Dawn Gamblen, Megan Juresa, Maxxi Minaxi May, Jan Mullen, Stella Picciotto Winn, Tania Spencer, Liliana Stafford, Martien Van Zuilen, Katrina Virgona, Louise Wells, Anne Williams, Cecile Williams
Curated by Leanne Bray
HOLD pays homage to functional basketry & purposeful application of craft skills. Highlighting the egalitarian & domestic nature of this ancient craft, HOLD celebrates ideas of everyday ritual & explores the unique artistry and sustainability of fibre arts. The exhibition brings together contemporary makers & historical basketry, to share rich examples of this foundational craft, drawing together cultures, geographies, time periods & communities. The project includes The ‘Celebration of makers,’ with 20 WA artists invited to produce unique work, demonstrating their varied skills, methodology & material usage; and ‘Storytelling baskets’ with significant basketry loaned from private collectors in WA.
Gallery Hours: Wednesday – Friday: 10am – 5pm & Saturday: 11am – 3pm
- Playing with Fibre with Liliana Stafford / 11 September
- Tall Felted Vessels with Martien van Zuilen / 18 September
- Working with Wire: Hollow Armatures with Tania Spencer / 25 September
- Recycled Bags with Anne Williams / 29 September
- Woven Flowers with Tania Spencer / 30 September
- Paper Weaving with Leanne Bray / 7 October
- Precious Pouches with Anne Williams / 9 October
- Coiling with Leanne Bray / 16 October
- Coiling with Forage Fibres with Fiona Gavino / 23 October
Visit Midland Junction Arts Centre – HOLD for bookings